The Hawthorne Tree...

In 1944, Mr. Olson bought a tall old house, one of three which had allegedly been moved from the railroad...where they had been brothels! He made the house a home and twenty-two years later, added a family room, enclosed back porch, and carriage house to the property. At some point, I don't know exactly when, someone planted a Hawthorne tree just outside the front door. Dorothy Olson, Mr. Olson's daughter-in-law, lived in the house as a young bride, started her family, and remembers trying to bake a cake in the old oil stove. She also remembers the Hawthorne tree...how beautiful it was with each passing season, how the birds loved it for its little red berries in the winter...and the bees blessed the blossoms in the spring. In fact, Mrs. Olson would have taken the tree with her when they sold the house, many years ago...if her husband had agreed...she loved that tree. I'm so glad she didn't take it. The tall old house has been my home for the last 8 1/2 years. The oil stove is long gone...but the Hawthorne tree is alive and well today...fully blossomed and buzzing with happy little bees...



Comments

Lisa said…
Beautiful!!
Hugs,Lisa
Thank you! I should take a picture of my car...it's COVERED in pollen!!! : ) Julie M.
Sara said…
So pretty, Julie! My hawthorne tree is blooming now, too. My car is also covered in pollen, but that came from the golden chain tree next to my driveway...
Thank you! When I was little, we had a golden chain tree in the very front yard of our house...down the street from Tracy. : ) Don't let Claude near that tree...it's poisonous! : p

Popular Posts